Monday, July 7, 2014

Top skin dimpling complete

Quick update:

  Had a productive weekend.  Despite the windy conditions, I thinned the mating skins, primed all skins, AND completed all the dimpling in the skins.  All of that took around 7 hours.  I found that the DRDT worked best as compared to the pneumatic squeezer for dimpling.  I dialed in some preloading on the DRDT so that the jaws flex a bit and although that works your hand harder, it creates a very nice dimple.  The C-Frame would have been fine too,  but it was nice to work in the nighttime while everyone was asleep with the DRDT.

 Next up is mounting the spar on the bench and starting the skin riveting.  I am trying to recruit bucking partners for this next phase.

  Also really studying up on the fuel tank process, as I need to decide ASAP if I am going to enlist someone else to build the tanks.  I am swaying currently towards building them myself based on some of the feedback I have read from other builders who said it wasn't as bad as they first thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment