Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ready to rivet top wing skins

Another brief update:

Mounted the left spar on the bench and clecoed the skins to it.  Everything looks good, with what I think is a little oil canning on one section in the middle of the long W-0003 wing skin.  I am looking closely at it to see if perhaps the wing ribs are not exactly bent properly but it seems like this is the only place I have this currently.

I have to draft some helpers to rivet these skins as it is close to impossible to do alone mounted vertically from what I can tell. 

One small mistake which looks like it will be a non-issue (cosmetic if there even is an issue at all) is that I did not roll the edges of the overlapping skins prior to dimpling.  They do appear to lay flat though at least now prior to riveting.  So for other builders it is important to do things in the order that the instructions say as in this case if you dimple first the edge roller will get caught on the dimples.  I had gotten into the habit of reordering some of the steps when building the RV-9 Tail and that worked fine, but this kit is different.  One thing I changed the order on which did work is dimpling the ribs prior to installation.  I am glad I did that.

Here are some pictures of the progress!

Sandpaper (60 grit) on a wood block to thin the corner where three surfaces meet - worked well

Masked off for priming the W-0002 skin where it lies under the other skin

Long sheet set up for dimpling - swirls are thicker primer areas - coverage was good need a better gun/technique
Inboard spar clamped

Outboard spar clamped

Backside 

Frontside clecos in progress


No comments:

Post a Comment