Thursday, July 3, 2014

Time Flies

Time flies when you are having fun.

Updated progress report:

  Ribs are all on the spars, rear spar has been attached as well.

  There are a couple of rivets in the rear spar that I am not happy with, and one hole on the rear spar that I know is too large although there is an ugly rivet in there right now.  Vans told me to go ahead and put a structural screw in there as well, and I am looking at what size would be appropriate.

  The top skins and doublers are also drilled, and countersunk.  Despite the warning to pay attention and drill the correct screw hole on the inboard nutplates in the center (single leg nutplate there) I drilled the wrong hole.  My new policy is that unless I am 100% certain what I am doing late at night is planned and brainless I quit working on the project early.  I thought I would have to purchase new skins, etc but of course this has a fairly simple fix with a patch to that area.  This will be covered with a wing root fairing anyways, and is only there to keep the fairing on, so I am fine with that fix.

 Up next is the endless dimpling that needs to be done on the skins, and then riveting.  I bought a 12" back rivet set and a handheld back rivet bar from Cleavland tools in preparation.  I will recruit a helper or two for the holding of the bar when I get there.

Having lots of fun with this build, I can see why people say that the wings are monotonous.  For me the key is to do something almost every day and it does move along. Some of the steps take so long that when you get to the end of them you are in disbelief that you get to move on to something else.  I think when I finished the countersinking of the spar I just stared at it sure I had missed something.  Dimpling is going to be another one of those...  Need to get the bench cleaned off and the wings moved to the rack in order to put the DRDT to use.




No comments:

Post a Comment