Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Ordered Wing and Empennage Kits

Went ahead and ordered the kits from Vans yesterday.  So far they only have the Wing and Empennage kits available and I was fortunate that they actually have enough parts in stock to be able to ship both right away.  Most of the time there is a lead time on at least the Wing.

I have put the 9A tail kit up for sale on VAF, and this marks the official start of the 14A build. Update: This was sold to a builder from New York and I wish him the best of luck.

The sale of the tail kit was a great experience, unlike the experience I had when I went to purchase an almost complete RV-9A kit.  I ended up having to back out only hours after sending a deposit and the person on VAF kept my deposit after saying he would return it (he had people lined up to purchase this so it went quickly).  I debated posting on VAF to talk about the bad experience but I think I will just keep it to myself for now.  If I see him post anything for sale though I will comment in the post as he is not trustworthy at all.

For those that are curious as to why I am switching, in my case it is the following:

-New builder (have some experience from the prior tail kit) so a quicker more thought out full design does appeal to me.  As much as I like thinking about how I am going to run the wiring, plumbing, etc I am also the type that will quickly fall into analysis paralysis and drag the build out for 4000 hours. If I see something quick and obvious here that is worth deviating for I will but at least the main structures are thought out and in place.  (Example:  I would change the brand of lighting perhaps, but not move it's location completely or even have to figure out where I want to put it)

- Improvement in assembly techniques (both written directions as well as some final drilling done)

- Nosewheel "improvements".  Appeals to me even though I know that many builders say there is no problem with the prior design.

I am planning on building the wings first with the thought that once they are complete I can move them out of the workshop and free up space to work on the Empennage/Fuse which are more related in this design as the Empennage comes with the tailcone.

I am building in one half of a two car garage.  Space will be a challenge but I am able to move the other car outside temporarily when needed to work.  


TEST IMAGE


No comments:

Post a Comment