Monday, September 5, 2022

Rollbar installed, rear window fitting

 
 
 

This post will serve as a catch up post for what I have been working on over the last couple of months since the finish kit came in. In addition to this post, I also have worked on the Elevator and Aileron controls as well as the brake lines that I purchased from Aircraft Specialties.

The roll bar section was straightforward, and you really do need to ensure that the structure lacks twist by assembling it on a table however all of that is spelled out. No complications at all occurred. 

 I painted the interior of the aircraft with Rustoleum hammered silver paint, which is good enough for what I am trying to accomplish and my backup plan which I don't think I will need will be to get panels to add to the interior at a later date. It came out fine.

The elevator and aileron assembly was straightforward as well however the controls seem to be binding up a bit, I have chosen not to troubleshoot right now and will look more at it when I get to actually aligning them. I am moving on to the canopy work at this point before the winter really arrives and plexiglass work becomes more difficult. 

I did a test fit of the rear window. My first attempt was a bit lazy, figuring that it isn't really meant to be precise anyway, and that you needed to adjust just like in the earlier models. I marked where the glass touched the support attachment so that I can cut notches into the plexi. Luckily I slept on my effort before cutting. 

The next morning I started again and made sure that the center hole was aligned and that the distances that you need to measure were as close to equal as possible. It turns out that the shipped part is fairly close and while I will need to do some additional trimming perhaps, doing it a second time and taking my time paid off and will allow me to not have to shave as much off the front of the rear windshield when the time comes. 

I have started to cut the notches and am smoothing out the plexiglass now. The dremel bit does get away from you quickly even at low speed so you really need to hold it tight as you are working. These parts are between $700-$1300 if you need to replace them so I am going to do everything I can to avoid any cracking.




 















 

No comments:

Post a Comment